Page 5 of 9

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:46 pm
by Hedrock
KC... This is going to be real nice when you get it done. You are definitely doing your homework :wink: .

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:23 am
by KBWAKESK8
have you extend the shifter linkage yet. I need to extend mine still.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:08 pm
by kcnaz
No shifter work yet, once I get the trailing arms set I will float the tranny back and forth to find a good center for the axle length and angle.
Image
Cross drilled the torsion housing, a full butt weld and 4 -1/2" plug welds on each side of that ought to do it. heavy duty insert eh? 2 1/4 x 4.......lol
Image

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:26 pm
by Leatherneck
Keith, is that a solid plug?

Image

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 pm
by kcnaz
Yep thats a solid plug, yes its heavy but it works. We did a lube trailer at work that way last year and the trailer bed is falling down around the axles now. If ya really want to try out a new truck run it in an open pit mine for a year. You would not believe the welding needed on a 3/4 ton truck after a year.......bed mounts, body mounts, frames and door hinges and on and on.
Got the rear welded in today. The idea of rotating the piviot box around the torsion does change the wheel camber. I had the tire setting on the ground with an angle of about 30*(not that I am setting the thing up at that angle) and was able to rotate the piviot box around and watch the camber changes.
Next I set up the tranny and find that sweet spot to determine minimum axle plunge and maximum travel. Outside rim to rim I am at 84".

Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:47 pm
by kcnaz
Welded in and 24" of travel .......7" droop.
I set the piviots up so I am at zero camber at ride height.
Image

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:36 pm
by rte592
Hey kcnaz
I made it in, there goes the neighborhood :lol:

Running thru your progress I had a few questions (you knew I would)
This broken bolt picture IF you havent fixed it already?

Image

Here is the quick fix
Grind a flat spot on 2 sides of the washer so you can put a wrench on it (like a nut) And just weld the washer to the stud sticking out (the heat usually loosens the stuck threads) and they thread right out in most cases.

Also the solid rod inside the torsion tube (nice and thick yes) But you probably didnt get much weld penitration into the solid rod.

Post up a curent half and half picture :D Would like to see the progress on that alteration.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:00 pm
by Leatherneck
rte592, welcome to the STF Off Road forum. Seems like you have been around the block a time or two and you know KC, hmmm going to have to watch you two. :lol: Thanks for your help already!

Leatherneck

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:14 pm
by kcnaz
Been busy the last 4 months with life and family matters. No I didn't get divorced....
The car has been on hold and plans have changed. We are moving soon to a new home so the car will be on hold for a bit more time as we pack and get ready for the move. I did stop by Ron's and pick up these a-arm bulkheads. Still collecting parts.....hehe
More pics tomorrow...
firewall bulkhead
Image
front bulkhead, backside is recessed for steering coupler
Image
front bulkhead, front side is predrilled for steering rack.
Image

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:26 pm
by Leatherneck
Looks interesting would like to see the other parts to this puzzle. :D

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:34 pm
by kcnaz
I'll have the set up posted here tomorrow.....

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:46 pm
by kcnaz
this is the setup with the bulkheads,,notice the 15 degree rake on the front end. Bushings on the bottom arms and Hiems on the top arms.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:05 pm
by Leatherneck
Oh that will be nice, pwr steering too? Will that be a kit or turnkey?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 am
by kcnaz
Just talking about it now but once we are in the new house and settled in I have new plans for my car and this set up is in the plans. That front in the pictures is on a car Ron is building, not mine.
For now I am lurking and collecting parts again.
This is the back of that car.......
Image

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:07 am
by findog78
Dang...thats some serious hardware!