Page 1 of 1

RAT dyno tuning

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:49 pm
by regis101
Greetings. IIRC, when you dyno tune a customers engine, one of the runs is at 20% (?) load to simulate real time? If so, what load would you run a bus engine? My point is that I'm still trying to justify that one of your 2270's with somewhere around 150hp/150tq would survive in a bus/westy knowing that the cruise rpm range is 3-4k. Am I still pissin' in the wind? Thanks, Regis

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:13 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Regis,
I have tried to configure 2270 engines for use in a Bay window Bus and without Nickies the results have been less than favorable. The issues are mostly related to the temperature delta that the stock shroud promotes when under such heavy load, especially at lower RPM.

My dyno tuning for complete engines not only tests the engine at full throttle, but also at 10, 25 and 50% loads across the RPM range.

I no longer offer dyno service for individuals, only for my complete, turn key customers. This is mostly due to trying to pick up the pace here and shorten wait times for turn key engines back down to the 5-6 month range...

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:15 pm
by regis101
Very well then

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:54 am
by gaston
Is the temperature problem also on a bay window with original shroud ans with LENs new heads? Combustion temperature and so the cylinders temperature are VE based problems - or i'm wrong?

Oliver

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:42 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Its primarly a heat soak issue, no head will eliminate that.... when the cylinders are heat soaked the engine stays hot.

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:31 am
by gaston
Yep.
With heat soak you mean heat transfer (heating the air by comming into the combustion chamber)? This means you lost a lot of energy by cooling wich is not available for power - so thermic efficency is low. I think the problem/limitation of all Type1/Type4 engines are the head designs which doesn't allow good flame fronts. This is why i asked in an other thread for 4 valve heads for Type 4 engines (centric plug => good flame front => better thermic efficency, exhaut polution, power,..).

Don't get pissed. It's no attack against you. I'm discussing limitations of the general head design and how to improve it.

Oliver

Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:13 pm
by Piledriver
I think he meant "giant hot iron cylinders" more than heads.

Nickies apparently solve the issue, the combustion chamber is the same, soo....