Page 1 of 1
Camper Special + stock EFI + SVDA = ?
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:47 pm
by rcnotes
I ordered a camper special rebuild kit for my '79 2.0 EFI from Jake and am at the steep end of the curve. I'm looking for info on how other folks handled installing the stock EFI and SVDA distributor with that engine kit.
How does the Mallory centrifugal dist fit with the stock EFI?
How do I handle the vacuum requirements of the EFI when using a centrifugal dist?
Can the SVDA be set up to perform efficiently or is the Mallory the way to go?
Which dist achieves lower head temps with the leat amount of futzing around?
TIA, Rick
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:13 pm
by tuna
This question would be better suited in Jake's forum, as it's directed to his customers.
Tuna
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:44 pm
by rcnotes
Thanks! Air Cooled Technology is the right one? I see that Jake posts a lot to his customers here.
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:01 pm
by raygreenwood
I assume the stock EFI is L-jet? The distributor drops in just like teh stock one. There should be littleelse to do. The system triggers from teh coil I believe.
As far a vacuum....the manifold/EFI system was supplying vacuum to the distributor. If the distributor does not require it....nothing else changes to the EFI system. Ray
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:30 pm
by Piledriver
If you don't get the vacuum advance version of the the Mallory, you will have hotter heads, less drivability, and suck more gas, esp around town.
Either unit likely needs to be recurved to work really right.
On the mallory it is easy. Not much harder on a stock dist...Not sure on the SVDA.
MAllory is a beautiful unit otherwise. Oh, don't forget you really want the Unilite as well.
Your call.
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:20 am
by Piledriver
Slick redirect, Tuna. Nicely done.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:24 am
by rcnotes
I'm currently running a Bosch SVDA with a Pertronix and L Jet EFI. It sounds like the stock dist will work ok, but the Mallory with unilite works better. I'm headed in that direction. Thanks for the info!