Page 1 of 1
painting engine tin
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:01 am
by SiQDiZ
Hi guys,
What would be the advisable product to repaint my engine tin and shroud. I would like to have an OEM looking result, and also easily cleanable and heat resistant. I will make all tin rust-free to start with.
Thanks,
Oscar
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:36 am
by Glenn
Get it powder painted.
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:32 am
by MNAirHead
Powder coat is good.
I normally acid dip for a while.. then use industrial paint to finish it.
Much better option than the cheap Chineese stuff.
Can you get HydroChoric acid over there?
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:26 am
by AirJose
These recommendations are excellent, but If you are looking for cheaper good results. I have good luck with the popular rattle can engine paint. Preparation is always the key to good results. Bare metal, automotive primer and then paint. all available at your local auto parts store(sounds like an advertisement...) But then you can not put high pressure water hose to clean it as some have extra high pressure. Good Luck, Jose
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:46 pm
by bugsterkafer
I did mine few years ago and it did not rust or anything..yea I scratched it in some areas but that's me
I stripped them to bare metal, then applied reduced (15%) epoxy primer. I followed with my base coat and clear coat within an hour, this way the time window was okay without sanding the epoxy (depends on paint brands/specs) which I used as a sealer.
Hope this helps
cheers
Leo
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:20 am
by Lew
Duplicolor Engine Enamel Low Gloss looks good if it's stripped and primed properly. I recently did mine......

Re: painting engine tin
Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:04 pm
by red_rock_beetle
rattle can duplicolor i think, prep is key, i think it looks good, no blemishes, high temp engine enamel
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ ... 7b28ec.jpg
Re: painting engine tin
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:11 am
by volksbugly
I painted mine and they turned out well.
I cleaned them off best I could, then sanded and primed,
then primed and sanded,
then primed and sanded
then pained it with
http://www.krylon.com/products/outdoor_ ... ed_finish/
Black.
I like it, but I think if I did it again I would use the silver for better contrast
Re: painting engine tin
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:26 am
by SCOTTRODS
An Old Thread revived.....
I don't guess I need to tell you I powder coat mine (and others if they want to pay me to do it). I can match the factory paint pretty close and do wild colors as well. I guess I should get me some Spares for samples and offer up an exchange program or something..... That way I could sell solid German Tins, with Solid Powder Coating on them for a decent cost.... I might have to work on this as a side item.....