Page 1 of 1

CDI = easier starting... maybe too easy!

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:10 pm
by RT
Good thing I always check to make sure my buggy is out of gear. I flipped on the "night" switch (trucker term for battery isolator), turned the ignition key to on, then walked around back to the engine. There, I worked the throttle on the carb to set the choke on, reached for remote ignition (on/off) and the instant I hit it, the engine roared to life. And it had been a week since I last fired it.

Didn't get near the starter button. This was simply a cylinder on the power stroke and one plug firing as the CDI discharged. One for the memory file...

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:45 pm
by Max Welton
Back when I had a CDI in the Ghia I could refire in this way about 1/3 of the time. Not sure why. It was good for laughs when I had right-seat company!

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:51 pm
by Guest
be glad it wasn't in reverse!!